With the rise of texting and mobile technology, it’s easy to feel as if email marketing has worn out its welcome. After all, who uses email anymore? The answer, of course, is most people. Indeed, even with options like texting and tweeting at their disposal, most people still use and check their email frequently. As tempting as it may be to focus your marketing efforts on social media, email marketing is still where it’s at. Find out why it continues to be the workhorse of online marketing by reading on below.
Eye-opening statistics about email marketing
Just because people still have and use email doesn’t automatically mean that email newsletters are still an effective online marketing technique. However, copious amounts of data regarding the effectiveness of email newsletters and marketing are available. IBM Marketing Cloud’s 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study is loaded with interesting tidbits, including:
- average open rates increased year over year from 2014 to 2015
- average click rates have also increased year over year over the same period
- the worst industry in terms of open rates and click rates is food service, sports and entertainment
- the best industry in terms of open rates and click rates is schools and education
- Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday are the best days to schedule email newsletters
So, with so many other communication options, why has email been experiencing an uptick? Many point directly at mobile usage, which provides easier access to email than ever. In fact, 49 percent of emails are now read via mobile. According to a July 2014 report by Forrester Research, 42 percent of retailers’ emails were opened on smartphones. What’s more, 17 percent were opened on tablets. So, three out of five email messages are accessed via mobile devices. If you want to catch people wherever they are, email continues to be a viable option.
Top Benefits of Email Marketing
Without question, the top advantage of sending email newsletters and otherwise engaging in email marketing is that it works. As long as people still use email, email marketing will continue to be one of the best ways to draw in prospects and to maintain relationships with existing customers.
Additional benefits of email marketing include:
- Build Credibility – As long as your email newsletters are loaded with useful, informative, accurate information, your company will become more credible in the eyes of those who read them. Deliver value to prospects’ inboxes, and they will think of your company whenever they are in need of your goods or services.
- Increase Loyalty – Holding on to existing customers is just as important as bringing in new ones. Email newsletters help to keep your company foremost in people’s minds. By occasionally reminding them of your company’s existence through useful, informative emails and newsletters, you dramatically increase the odds that they will remember your company when the time comes.
- Educate Readers – Email newsletters should ideally never be blatantly promotional. Instead, they should convey useful information to readers. By educating readers about your products and services, you show them new ways to make use of them. You can also use emails to remind them of new products or to assist them in making buying decisions.
- Customize Your Approach – Email marketing technology has become incredibly sophisticated in recent years. It’s easier than ever to send personalized messages to recipients. In addition to referring to readers by name, which has been doable for a long time, you can offer product recommendations or remind them about abandoned shopping carts. People tend to respond much more favorably when they feel like they’re being spoken to directly, so this is very beneficial.
- Engage in Effective Segmentation – All customers and prospects are unique. A marketing approach that works for one group may fall flat for another. This is where segmentation comes into play. After identifying the groups, or demographics, that appreciate your offerings, you can create separate email campaigns for each segment, or group, that are designed to appeal to their particular needs and wants.
- Spread the Word – If your email newsletters are interesting enough, readers can easily forward them along to friends and loved ones. Email newsletters that have pass-along value tend to contain information that’s not easily found elsewhere. Therefore, put your expertise on display in the content that you use. Invest in developing top-notch content to not only reach people on your email list but potentially many others as well.
- Gather and Analyze Data – Unlike in the old days, when you’d send a batch of emails and simply hope for the best, powerful analytics tools allow you to gauge the progress of your campaigns in real time. At a glance, you can see the open rate, click rate, bounce rate and other metrics regarding the messages that you have sent. This allows you to optimize your campaign as it progresses and to fine-tune your approach over time.
- It’s Affordable and Delivers Incredible ROI – Perhaps most compellingly of all, email newsletter marketing is among the most affordable marketing techniques out there. You can technically engage in it with nothing more than a computer and an internet connection, but it will be slow going. Even after investing in email marketing software and other miscellaneous costs, your total cost will pale in comparison to the return that you’ll get on your investment. If even a tiny percentage of recipients act on your messages, your campaign will be a huge success.
Email newsletter marketing is alive and well!
So, the bottom line here is clear: Email marketing is still an incredibly powerful marketing technique. Businesses of all sizes benefit enormously by including it in their marketing arsenals. Thanks to the mobile revolution, email marketing may be even more effective than ever. Better still, email marketing software has streamlined the process to such a degree that you hardly need any time at all to make it happen. Don’t wait any longer–kick-start your email newsletter campaign today. Call us at 760-881-4736.